MadBlather
March 29, 2024, 06:07:18 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Too many games......so why not buy another!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Too many games......so why not buy another!  (Read 360 times)
PungentOnion

View Profile
« on: November 13, 2010, 04:58:24 pm »

In the past month or so I have added to my backlog of things to do related to gaming; I thought it would be a good time to start sharing a bit. 

The smaller item is from today, I saw an interesting post of a console for sale, did a little checking and thought it would be kind of neat to have. So, I now have a 1976 First Dimension Video Sports console; for a mere $25. No box, which is a bummer, but the system is almost pristine. The guy said it was probably played a total of 5 or 6 hours before it was boxed up and has now been in storage for 34 years. I tried hooking it up through the switch box I am using for the 2600, but I don't think that's the right way. It did come with a box which I believe is actually an RF modulator. So, I can turn it on and I hear the beeps of the ball bouncing against the walls before it finally gives a 'loser' beep when it gets past a paddle.....but no picture.  The small RF modulator (maybe?) box is a 2-wire connection which wont work on the TV I've got games setup on. I'll need to get an old school TV/monitor to see if I can't get it going.  I'll at least get a picture of the console posted a bit later.

The most comprehensive 'pong' site I found is www.pong-story.com. There is a page dedicated to the First Dimension: http://www.pong-story.com/firstdim.htm.

So, the second and far more imposing task I wrangled myself into is that I bought a "Mad Shark" cabinet that will someday in the distant future become a MAME cabinet.  The setup is perfect for removing the existing controls and dropping in (with the addition of a small rack) the X-Arcade controller. It's also one of the larger cabinets so it can fit a pretty good size monitor in it. I have no clue how to post pictures yet in this forum, but I'll get a few up and will probably have some type of running documentation as I get it fixed up.  But, just so there's no unrealistice expectations, this is probably going to be a 1-yr effort.....if I'm lucky!!!

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Fallguy40

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 06:05:09 pm »

That is some serious old-school gaming right there! I remember having a pong machine but I don't think it was that one. Seems like ours had good-old wood paneling. And what doesn't look better in wood paneling?

I'm thinking of quitting my job so I can devote more time to playing all of these games.
Report Spam   Logged
PungentOnion

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 09:27:45 pm »

Not that anyone will have a use for this info, but I tracked down (I'm pretty sure) why the video hook-up didn't work. Info on the First Dimension system is at the end.

"Old pong games did not use the composite input (the yellow cinch plug). They simply connected to the antenna plug of the TV set through a small switch box, which was nothing but a simple switch and a small matching transformer. As a matter of fact, television sets used two RF inputs. The normal antenna input, which used two screws, requires a 300-ohm impedance. The F-type input (the plug that screws to the TV set) requires a 75-ohm impedance. Both are not compatible, so a matching transformer is required to adapt one impedance to the other. Most of the time, you will want to convert from 300 ohms to 75 ohms.

The problem is, most pong games used a phono output plug, and the TV RF input connectors were either the two wire antenna hoko-up or the coax wire.

There are two solutions. The easiest is a cheap "Phono-to-F" adaptor, which can be found either at Radio Shack (reference 278-255 or 278-267) or at AtariAge. This small adaptor contains a matching transformer and will give slightly better quality pictures than regular switch boxes. If you want to use a switch box for any reason, you can still buy one at Radio Shack, reference 15-1268. It also includes a matching transformer.

There are still a small number of games which used their own terminals, making regular switch boxes impossible to use with them. The Magnavox Odyssey series are a good example. The only two solutions are either to find a switch box on the Internet (eBay for example) or to cut the plug of your game cable and replace it with a male phono plug (the model which looks more like the old ones can be found at Radio Shack under the reference 274-321).

Finally, there are a few games which used a more complicated system, like a combined signal (power + video) or a composite signal to be modulated. First Dimension model FD-3000 delivered a composite signal. This one can be directly sent to the composite input of your TV set (the yellow plug). Else, you will need an RF modulator, which can be found at Radio Shack under the reference 15-2526."

So, I'll be digging out my RF Modulator that I have no idea why I was keeping. Hopefully I'll be ponging in no time!!

Report Spam   Logged
PungentOnion

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 05:20:53 pm »

Got the game working! After I read the instructions I posted, I realized the TV I have the games setup on has composite input, so no modulator needed, just plug the game right in!!!  The picture looks good and the game has controls to position the game on the screen.  The bad news though, as happens with something this age, the paddles have the jitters! Like the paddles on an Atari game, when you move them the object you're controlling jumps and shakes as it moves along. So, I'm assuming I'll have to take things apart and clean the contacts which will hopefully take care of things.  Once I have it cleaned up, it will be a fun little addition!
Report Spam   Logged
MadPlanet
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 09:04:21 am »

Nice addition to the collection PO. I still have my old Super Pong system in the closet somewhere which I had problems getting to work before I stuck it in there a long time ago and kinda forgot about it. My games/systems collection is in such disarray. I thought Mad Shark was the shooter that you discovered on MAME and told me about and the arcade cab you got was some other shooter?  Did I mention to you that I played a Sky Shark in New Hampshire with the same marquee you bought at the HAAG Expo?

I'm looking forward to some pics and log entries here on the progress of your MAME cab.
Report Spam   Logged
PungentOnion

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 12:32:27 pm »

I sent an email to David Winter, owner of the 'Pong-Story' link website, and asked him about the jittery paddles. He said it was a pretty common issue, but it is also easily fixed by cleaning the potentiometers. Hopefully I can do it without breaking too much in the process.
Report Spam   Logged
MadPlanet
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 12:51:24 am »

I read that NBA Jam officially arrived in stores today for the PS3 with online play supposedly available right out of the box.

Fallguy?  You gonna snarf it?  I think it's time for a little stroll down boomshakalaka lane.
Report Spam   Logged
Fallguy40

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 05:31:02 am »

I didn't realize it was already out. I'll have to get that one.
Report Spam   Logged
PungentOnion

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 03:12:17 pm »

FINALLY......after dealing with two computers that died on me I now having a working computer. I was also able to retrieve about 99% of the files off the first dead computer so I actually have all my websites, passwords, etc back.

So, why would I tell you all that in the 'buy another game' post? Because, I added to the retro-collection again; those pesky Craig's List ads just keep popping up.......buy me....buy me!!!!!  So, I now have a Magnavox Odyssey 2 with 4 games. It's in very good condition and the games have their boxes and manuals which are all in very good condition. I got it for a decent price of $30. Probably should have bargained down to $20-$25, but just not into that sometimes. 

Anyway, still haven't hooked it up yet, but probably by the end of the day today!
Report Spam   Logged
Fallguy40

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 03:15:03 pm »

You and MadPlanet need to open a retro console museum in Houston.  I think you two have most consoles ever released at this point! Craigs List can be a goldmine.
Report Spam   Logged
MadPlanet
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 12:21:54 pm »

yeah I saw that Odyssey 2 - almost bought it myself. It was a decent price since it came with 4 games complete in the boxes. Nice acquisition
Report Spam   Logged
MadPlanet
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 12:42:01 pm »

Not sure if this belongs in this topic or not but didn't want to start a whole new one for it.

A guy at work sent me the link below about Rockstar's upcoming game L.A. Noir.  As I've said before I am NOT a big fan of Rockstar's games, but this one actually piqued my curiosity.  The graphics and facial expressions on the characters are very impressive.  I think I might actually end up getting it.  If nothing else I'll at least try the demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBYlRD-Hk8k&feature=related

Report Spam   Logged
Fallguy40

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 07:14:30 pm »

Looks interesting. I've always been a sucker for Rockstar games. I'm sure I'll play this one too.

Speaking of Rockstar, I'm playing Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare right now. IGN gave it a 10 which is a stretch. I'll give it about an 8.0.

I do appreciate that when Rockstar comes out with DLC, it's an entirely new story vs a couple of new maps. This one is certainly on par with the Liberty City Episodes in terms of value. 

Report Spam   Logged
MadPlanet
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 07:51:09 pm »

agreed - I definitely give them credit for providing full-blown 1-player content like that.  Exactly the sort of thing I would buy if I really liked a game.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: