MadBlather
April 19, 2024, 12:24:02 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Christmas goodies

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Christmas goodies  (Read 288 times)
MadPlanet
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: December 19, 2011, 05:15:45 pm »

I had my eye on the SUPER-EXPENSIVE 3D virtual big screen goggles from Sony, but after an initial surge of childlike exuberance I have no come back to earth and am cringing away from the wallet-crushing price tag of $800.  BUT - I am now considering asking for the PS3 3D Display. It is only 24" but since I would put it on my desk in my office I would be much closer to the screen when I played it so I'm wondering how much real difference there would be versus my 60" when viewed from the couch. Also, it would double as my computer monitor.  Apparently this thing retailed for $499 when it debuted a few months back now it is selling for $399 and I saw that Best Buy currently has them on sale for $299 packages with a pair of active shutter glasses and Motorstorm Apocolypse.

I've already decided I'm not going to drop like $2K or whatever on a nice new 3D bigscreen TV when I view the current types that require the glasses as probably an interim technology until TVs offer something more like the Nintendo 3DS screen where you don't have to wear the stupid glasses. But for the time-being the drop to $299 brings it down to a fairly reasonable tech-toy price tag.

I suspect Laurie wouldn't mind getting her living room TV back either.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Fallguy40

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 08:21:39 pm »

I've seen that small 3D setup advertised. It seems like a good deal and at some point this year we had talked about getting that game, so good thing that never happened.

Other than maybe a game (probably CoD MW3), I don't think I'm getting any additional PS3 stuff this Christmas. I had wanted to get Skyrim, but I hear it's got major framerate issues on the PS3 just like New Vegas, so I'm going to skip it. I'll still get a football game whenever you are ready. 2K12 basketball looks good too.

I am getting a Kindle Fire, so that will be my gadget to play around with.
Report Spam   Logged
MadPlanet
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 08:43:43 pm »

that's cool. Laurie for a Nook Color for her birthday in January and she loves that thing
Report Spam   Logged
PungentOnion

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 05:49:21 am »

I got myself an early gaming Christmas present last week but it has nothing to do with the PS3 (although the 3D display/TV thingie does look cool). I went about as opposite as I could from the current games and found a 54 year old pinball machine, Ace High. I picked it up from Craigs List and it's amazing how well it works for the relatively meager $150 I got it for.  There are a number of little issues with it like light bulbs that are burnt out, some plastic bits that are pretty worn (or warped....or broken), and the two mechanical scoring wheels don't always communicate with each other. But, since I was looking for something to tinker with, without the guilt of maybe making a mistake and destroying something I spent oodles on, this fits the bill of 'perfectly imperfect'. With the extra time I have over the holidays I'll be putting together a complete post about it, so all your burning questions will be answered!
Report Spam   Logged
Fallguy40

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 09:05:15 am »

That sounds pretty cool. There was an arcade in OKC that was selling off several classic arcade cabinets earlier this week on Craigslist for around $500 each. I don't know the condition though.
Report Spam   Logged
MadPlanet
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 01:21:08 pm »

yeah that pinball was a good deal - you can't even buy completely dead pins for $150 usually much less one that is 90% complete/working.  I gotta come check that out one of these days pretty soon.

I just looked up arcade games on the OKC craigslist - there are some pretty darn good deals on there assuming they work as advertised. I see one Cactus Jacks selling off a bunch of stuff and one guy is selling a Tempest, Gorf, and Vanguard - 3 great classics and actually 3 of my favorites from back in the day - for $600 each or $1500 for all.  If that deal was in Houston I would most likely jump on it at least for 1 of those.

Damn there's an original Space Invaders in excellent condition for $425. That's a good deal too. Centipede for $400...  Wow - a working Midway Gunfight for only $150!  That game is all the way back in the late '70s. At that cheap I would definitely buy that just to screw around with it. Although admittedly the game isn't all that fun...

So apparently OK is the play to go if you want to buy arcade games then.

Onion, time for a road trip to add to your growing gameroom collection
Report Spam   Logged
MadPlanet
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 01:33:20 pm »

Xevious for $295?  A great condition working Frogger for around $300? Man, looks like arcade games sell for at least 50% less or more in OK than they do in Houston. If I lived closer I would definitely try to get that Frogger for that price for Laurie's Christmas present. She loves that game and I've never seen it advertised that cheap anywhere
Report Spam   Logged
MadPlanet
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 01:35:43 pm »

Hey Onion, when/if you get ready to do a post about your new pinball game and your efforts to fix it up just save it when you are done and let me know so I can jot a quick sentence or two intro to hand you the mic.
Report Spam   Logged
Fallguy40

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 02:20:33 pm »

Rent a U-Haul trailer and take them all home today.
Report Spam   Logged
MadPlanet
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 05:12:00 pm »

ha! You know I might actually consider that - hell I could always probably resell them later for at the very least a comparable price. But those damn u-Hauls charge you an extra dollar per mile driven so the round-trip drive would completely blow away my savings that I would realize on the cost.  Now if I owned a trailer or something then it might be time for a road trip. But I don't so...

I just got back from Best Buy checking out that PS3 3D display. It's small for a TV but pretty darn big for a computer monitor. I think it might work. For some stupid reason they didn't have it set up to show off the 3D capabilities though which is one thing I really wanted to check out because the various 3D TVs I've seen seem to vary widely in their abilities and flaws. It did have one cool feature - although since I play alone 99% of the time I wouldn't really be able to utilize it - if you and another person are wearing a pair of glasses you each see a different screen. So you can play a split screen game except you can each see the whole screen as if you are playing on the net. Neat but virtually useless for me.
Report Spam   Logged
Fallguy40

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2011, 03:25:39 pm »

So, did you get the 3D monitor?
Report Spam   Logged
PungentOnion

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2011, 05:37:51 am »

So, did you get the 3D monitor?

Inquiring minds want to know!
Report Spam   Logged
MadPlanet
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2011, 11:56:58 am »

Nope - I went another direction and got something completely different but I actually don't have it yet so I'm saving that for a surprise post. I DID however get RockSmith so I'll try that out in the next few days and report back to you fellow guitar players how well that works.
Report Spam   Logged
desertnice

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 01:43:52 pm »

Hey Everyone,
great to know about your new goodies collection. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

“To win you've got to stay in the game.”
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: